Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day 2013


Yes... I have several blog posts, including the rest of Florida to update before we get to Mother's Day.  Plus, I have photos galore to include with everything that is written below, but they need to be sorted through.  However, when the moment moves you, sometimes, you just have to roll with it.

_____________________

Symmetry, organization and logic are often words I would use to explain how I am wired.  I envision that my brain is a series of file folders where I file, sort and store information.  It can be difficult to pull up data from this filing system quickly, so I often store images for quick reference.  I like order, in most everything.  My closet it organized by clothing type, sleeve length and occasion. My boys' closets are the same.  Keith is on his own, but even he has adopted some of the ways.  Fortunately, his side of the closet is to my back when I'm deciding what to wear, so it works.  Marrying Keith was the first test in my symmetry, organization and logic.  Motherhood was the second test.  

I have always said that change is good, change is healthy, change is never comfortable.  It is good to stretch, grow and test your comforts.  Marriage and motherhood does this daily and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Yes, there are days when I would prefer to put them in their own box where they could live out their own idea of comfort and I could live in my box of symmetry, organization and logic.  However, that would get rather dull and boring.

I am thankful every day that my symmetry, organization and logical living are stretching me, growing me and testing my comforts.  I wouldn't want it any other way and today, on Mother's Day, I find that I'm a tad more sentimental than most other days.

Today was perfect.  It was perfect in a stretching, growing, testing kind of way.  I awoke to Oliver saying "Happy Mother Day and all that I could see was a bouquet of flowers that he picked out special, just for his Mommy.  As I took the flowers, all that I could focus on was his big and bright Hollywood smile and eye sparkling grin.  This was followed by Keith handing me a Grande Non-Fat No-Water Chai.  Keith had woken Oliver up early so that they could go to the store to execute this perfect plan.  All of this was followed by a morning of Keith getting the boys dressed in their Sunday best, complete with cutie-pie comb overs so that my boys could take me to Sunday Brunch at Table Mountain Inn in Golden.  Since the prime time of 10:30 was booked, they got the 9:00 seating, which turned out to be ideal.  When we arrived, we had our choice of patio or indoor seating and on this 75 degree day, we chose to sit on the patio.  The brunch was over flowing with options, complete with mac-and-cheese and min-corn dogs for the kids and mimosas and bloody mary's for the Mom's and Dad's.  Our glorious brunch was followed by a stroll down Washington Street to Clear Creek where the boys hunted for pine cones and tossed rocks into the creek.

What I usually leave out of our stories is the rushing, hustling, last minute potty stops, last minute diaper changes, spilled juice, dropped utensils, wishing the kids would listen better, wishing the kids would do what we asked the first or even second time, wondering if Kellan is every going to get over his Mommy-only-attachment and let Daddy help him out, wondering where Oliver's sassy side suddenly came from, occasionally executing time outs; stretching, growing, testing.  Really, who wants to know that stuff and who really wants to remember it in a blog post?  Wanting it or not, it's what rounds out our days and what is working to turn our boys into fine young gentleman.  Fortunately, we see positive signs that it's all working and worth the test.

Mother's Day didn't end here.  Oliver had a flag football game, the first of the two playoff games for the championship.  They are undefeated, but some of the teams have been improving and giving the Dragons a run for their money.  Oliver is proving to be highly skilled on defense.  His ability to read and respond to the quarter back (they usually run the ball) is impressive.  He is usually the one who re-directs the quarter back straight into the opponents (Dragons) where they are ready and waiting to pull flags.  He does run the ball himself each game, but touchdowns don't come easy.  Oliver had a few opportunities today and moved the ball down the field, but didn't reach the end goal.  Then, it was time for a passing maneuver.  Preston got the ball, threw it to Oliver, (mommy held her breath) Oliver caught the ball, pivoted, ran, Mommy click-click-clicked the camera, the crowd went wild, Daddy was cheering, Mommy was cheering, Kellan was watching Mickey Mouse Club, Oliver ran the ball in for a touch down.  I was SO proud that I was choked up and nearly burst.  Seriously.  That is what Motherhood is about for me.  *It's not the gifts, the brunch, the photos in front of the pretty flowers; it's the moments of pride when you see your son (or daughter) excel, execute and deliver.  It could be sports, it could be academics or it could simply be an act of kindness.  It's those moments that make you proud and they are usually not planned.  That's what Motherhood is all about.  That is why all of the stretching, growing and testing is worth it.

*Note to Keith and boys, gifts, brunch and photos are all amazing... keep 'em coming.  This isn't a statement to seize giving :)

When Oliver came off of the field, it took every ounce of effort not to scoop him up and smother him in embarrassing hugs and kisses.  He was too cool for that.  He strolled into the players area like "what, what's the big deal" and I ruffled his hair and said "Oliver, you're a rockstar!  That was awesome!"  He sat down and hardly acknowledged me, but I knew he was proud.  The sideline of a football game is no time for Mushy Mom Moments.

Then, a second gift came from Kellan.  When we got home from football, both of the boys desperately needed a nap.  They had two late nights in a row with very active days in between.  Plus, Mommy had to pack for the airport.  I snuggled with Kellan in his new big boy bed and read him two books.  Before leaving him for his nap I asked "are you going to be good for Daddy while I'm gone".  He responded with a little smile, puckered lips and nodded a yes.  I believe it to be genuine and that again, warmed my heart.  You see, Kellan is a Mamas boy.  He prefers Mommy to do everything, literally, everything. Even if Daddy or someone else is available and willing, he will insist it be Mommy.  These next few days may be torture on Daddy and Oliver, but it may be good as Mommy won't be there for his every whim.  I seriously think that he gave me the greatest gift he can, he genuinely said that he would be good for Daddy.  It may be hard for him.  Time will tell.

So there you have it, Mother's Day 2013.  I departed the Ham Fam house for the airport with just the right amount of time that I like for being at the airport.  This included a tad bit of time to grab some dinner for a 6:40 departure.  40 minutes into my 45 minute drive, I realized that I forgot my work ID badge that gets me into the Milwaukee and Chicago offices.  I panicked.  I called Keith and even though Kellan was still napping and Oliver was on his bike, he got both boys and my ID into the car and drove East.  I turned around and drove West.  We met in the middle, exchanged the ID card, exchanged a quick kiss and good-bye and from the back seat, Kellan and Oliver said "Bye-Bye Mommy" with no worries.  Of course, this makes any Mommy happy, but it once again solidified the promise and the hope that Kellan would deliver on his gift and be a good boy.  The stretching, growing and testing is paying off.    (To Keith, you're the true champion.  Thank you for keeping your cool to round up the boys and calmly take a drive to the East to meet your wife who was in a state of panic.)   

Also on the way to the airport, I tried to call my very own Mom.  She was unavailable and I later found out that she was mowing the lawn.  You may wonder why she was mowing the lawn on Mother's Day?  Well, this Mom is amazing.  Mother's Day or not, she is a woman who takes action and gets things done.  As kids, there was never a day that went by that we didn't have clean clothes, breakfast before school, home made treats after school, dinner on the table and lots of love in between.  One of my favorite memories is getting off of the school bus on a snowy day and walking into the warm house where Mom had music playing and was baking bread, pies or cookies.  It was the best.  She would come to every sporting practice and home game and for away games, she sat in the parking lot and waited for the school bus to arrive so that she could take us home.  We never had to wait in the cold for her to drive into town.  My Mom is one of the most giving people that I know and she is also very wise.  She taught me how to tackle life head on, not worry about the little things and that success is not measured by the jeans that you wear.  I wouldn't be the woman or the Mommy that I am without my Mom.  I tap into her wisdom daily at work and at home.  Happy Mothers day to My Mom, she is as good as they come.

Now, I sit here on a dark airplane.  Mother’s Day 2012 is in the bag and it’s the best one yet.  As I frantically made it to the gate and fate helped me by delaying our plane by 30 minutes so that I could grab a snack to go, I knew that I was going to skip my symmetry, organization and logic to write and post this out of order.  Yes, I do have other posts that I need to get to that occurred before this, but sometimes, when the moment moves you, you have to roll with it.  

Plus, I remembered that on our Florida trip I saw that Southwest Airlines had free drinks for Mom’s on Mother’s day.  So with a free, Cold Coors Light in hand, I toast to the Mom’s.  Happy Mother’s Day!

1 comment:

Jedi Mama said...

Love it! This was a great post!

Related Posts with Thumbnails