Monday, October 24, 2011

Mom and Me

Sometimes, I just miss time with my Mom.  I think the last time we had a weekend to hang out with just the two of us was probably before Oliver was born.  On a whim, I bought a ticket to Spokane to get a Mom fix.  I flew in late Friday night and after visiting with Mom and Dad a bit, I hit the hay.  My first goal was to sleep in.  When I woke up in the morning I was not happy when I woke up and thought that it was probably 7:30.  I really wanted to sleep in.  With no clocks in sight I got up and discovered it was 9:30. 9:30!!  I haven't slept in that long in AGES.  Probably, since before Oliver was born.  Crazy!  The cloudy and cool weather really helped accomplish my goal.  That afternoon, Mom and I went into Spokane and went to see The Help.  We had both read the book and we both really enjoyed the movie.  What a great treat!

Next up, was dining at The Onion.  Keith is convinced that it's a conspiracy that we always have to eat at The Onion.  He said he would know for sure if I didn't go on this trip.  So... we went!  I LOVE their mozzarella sticks.  YUMMY!!!!!
Carrie and Mom
The best Mom ever!
Ironically, that evening was my cousin Khryshell's wedding shower.  She was home from the Army and I had no idea when I booked my ticket.  I haven't see her in about fifteen years and it was great to catch up.  The bride and groom are going to Hawaii for their honeymoon so that was the shower theme.
Khyshell and her Mom Kai.
Another cousin, Nate, Khryshell's little brother.
My Mom and her sister Sandy.
The beautiful bride-to-be.
Then.. we had Sunday and we didn't take any pictures.
Shocking, I know!
(We went shopping and to pizza dinner at Rocky Rococo's.  Yum!)
Then, it was Monday and I went into town with Mom to see Rio.  It was a school day for Rio and Shane had to go to work so Mom usually takes Rio to school.  I was very excited to see them, even if it was for a short while.  The funniest part was that we took more photos in that short time than the whole weekend.  It just goes to show that the cameras come out when the kids are present.
In Hawaii, we got Rio a new poster with his name on it.  We had seen an artist at the Aquarium and he painted it special just for Rio.  It was fun to be able to give it to him in person.
Rio also got a new book from his Aunt Carrie.  Now that he is in the first grade he is doing a great job learning to read.
Aunt Carrie and Rio.  What a handsome boy, all dressed up and ready for school.
Hurry quick... We rushed to the neighbors house to take some fall photos in their great leaves.  I'm not sure that I ever noticed all of the great fall colors in Chewelah until I went home for this visit.
We sure love this guy!
Mondays are late start for Rio so we had time to go to breakfast.  Also being Monday, the usual breakfast place is closed so we went to the bakery for a donut.  It was a great time and Rio loved it.
Mmmmmm   Maple Bar!
Mmmmm Aunt Carrie (and Grandma) had Maple Bars too!
Yummyyy!!!!
Rio also got some Chocolate Milk to wash it all down.
Being Six is Awesome!
Aunt Carrie and Rio after our hot date at the bakery.
It was the perfect ending to my Washington weekend.
It is always fun to take Rio to school since it is the very same school that his Dad Shane and I went to.  I told Rio that I remember the first time I got to visit the school when it was built.  I was in the second grade and we walked over from the old grade school.  We were excited about the white boards (instead of green chalk boards), berms that went up to the window (I have no idea why this was a high point), the L shape that the desks were in (because this was the "new" way to organize classrooms) and the newness of everything.  Another high point of the visit is that Rio's classroom is right next to Mrs Kennedy, who was my second grade teacher.  It was great to see her as well.  She was always a favorite.
We headed home and got ready to leave for the airport.  Of course, we didn't leave without a few photos first.
Carrie and Mom in the back yard.
Carrie and Mom having fun with photos!
Wahoo!!!
Carrie and Mom in the front yard.
"Hurry and take the photos Dad.  The sun is blinding us.  I think my eyes are watering!"
Then it was Dad's turn.  I couldn't resist.  I had to post this series... with commentary.

Dad getting ready for the photo by tucking his baseball cap in the back of his belt.

Carrie's Thoughts: Hmm... I'm not sure why he can't just toss his hat to the side, but, this is Dad so this seems normal and I'll roll with it.
Carrie thought: Stand up straight, smile nice, cheese.
Dad's comments: Oh, I forgot my glasses.  Just a minute.
Carrie thoughts: Are you serious?  Well....  Just another Dadism.  Just roll with it and tease him a bit.  
Dad thoughts: I'll just put my glasses here in the case that is properly stored in my shirt pocket.
Dad thoughts: Ok, lets get this photo going.  What are we waiting on?
Carrie thoughts: Ok, I think he's finally ready.  Do the hair fluff and prepare to smile.
Cheese!
(Love Ya Dad)
Thanks to Keith, Oliver and Kellan for holding down the fort while I was gone.  I hope it's still in one piece.  HA HA!!

1 comment:

rbgarner said...

It was a great couple of days. Thanks to a wonderful daughter. I cracked up with the dad photo's. Yup! That's your dad.

Related Posts with Thumbnails