Monday, August 11, 2014

Mommy is Certified

A decade ago, I first learned about APICS and it peaked my interest to become APICS certified.  Last year, the opportunity came to be.  After a year of studying, including nearly every Saturday and Sunday the past two-three months, I sat for the APICS CSCP exam on August 4, 2014.

A little definition of APICS from APICS.com:
APICS is the leading professional association for supply chain and operations management and the premier provider of research, education and certification programs that elevate end-to-end supply chain excellence, innovation and resilience. APICS Certified in Production and Inventory Management (CPIM) and APICS Certified Supply Chain Professional (CSCP) designations set the industry standard. With over 37,000 members and more than 250 international partners, APICS is transforming the way people do business, drive growth and reach global customers.

I was sitting for the CSCP, Certified Supply Chain Professional.   The exam was the longest four hours of my education.  After so much work and dedication by myself and my family, the time for the results was finally here.  I very nervously accepted my results, with a passing score.  I was beyond elated.

Half way through the exam, I started thinking about our favorite sushi place.  Right then, I decided that pass or fail, we were going out for sushi.  Of course, I was much happier that it was sushi to celebrate than the alternative.

When Keith and I headed out to pick up the boys, I looked up the hours for Japon's.  We were shocked to discover that they had closed.  The owner had decided to pursue other culinary opportunities.  So, instead of going to our favorite sushi restaurant that we went to every Tuesday when we were dating, we went to their sister restaurant, Japango in Boulder.

The boys knew how hard their Mommy had worked for this and they were just as excited for the passing score as their Mommy and Daddy were.  They had missed their Mommy during all of those study sessions and the feeling was mutual.  They too were excited to celebrate this big accomplishment.

We are so proud of our boys for many reasons, one of which is that they are willing to try so many things, including sushi dinners.  Typically, we start them off with pot stickers and this adventure was no exception.
(forgive the photo quality.  the camera was forgotten, so the iPhone stepped in)

The pot stickers and dumplings were a huge hit.
The happily Certified Supply Chain Professional.
The family, so happy to be together again.  It really has felt like an eternity of being apart for far too many hours.
A little bit of sushi and a lot of my favorite roll, the Chicago roll.
Oliver tried several styles of sushi.  His favorite was the Ebi and Salmon.
We let the boys forgo utensils with sushi and it makes the whole experience better for everyone.


He gave the tuna a sideways thumb, which means that it's ok, but he'll pass on another bite.
Kellan even gave sushi a try for the first time.
He didn't love it as much as Oliver, but I'm sure that in time his opinion will change.
The waiter asked us, "how's your sushi dinner?"  I looked at the boys enjoying their dinner and I said, "It's about to get expensive."  Give it a few years and the bill might be too much to handle.  In the meantime, we'll enjoy sushi happy hours as much as possible.

After dinner, we strolled down Pearl Street in search of some celebratory ice cream.  The boys had earned it after being such perfect gentleman at dinner.  They made Mommy's celebration dinner and absolute joy.
The boys found themselves at Haagan Daas and Kellan had his eye on trying these chairs.
Outside, they quenched their thirst with a little teamwork to make the water fountain work.
We had an absolutely wonderful celebration.
A week later, a Very Special Package arrived on my desk, my official certificate.
I was so excited that I had someone take my photo.
Then, I decided that our cube land was not a great back drop, so we went in search of something more festive.
What's more festive than some Cold Coors Light signage and a brand new APICS CSPC certification?
Thank You is not big enough for the appreciation that I feel for my families support in me pursuing this certification.  As well, to my friends that I had to be stubborn and decline invites to spend time together and study instead.  I appreciate everyones support and encouragement.  THANK YOU!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails