Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Firsts and Lasting Impressions

First day of school!
Whoop Whoop!
While some Mom's mourn the beginning of the new school year because it marks another milestone proving that their babies are getting older and there is nothing that they can do to stop it.  Other Mom's are celebrating that their kids are finally going to school and getting out of their hair.  This Mom approaches the new school year with a different outlook.  It is with much excitement that I watch our boys go into the next phase of their lives.  There is so much growth and adventure that lies ahead, I'm almost giddy with anticipation.  Yes, I have moments of pause where I reflect on how far they have come and how they don't just snuggle in one arm but down my entire body, but that also means that our snuggles are that much bigger and intentional.

One the first day of school in 2014, Oliver was off to First Grade and Kellan was launching into Pre-Kindergarten.  Kellan was proud to wear Oliver's former Primrose Shirts and Oliver was thrilled to wear Red, White and Blue (the colors of America).

When I asked the to stand tall for the photo, they each gave a toe up for a little extra height.
Oliver is getting so tall.  Even his hair has new heights.  When he went for his back to school haircut, they gave him a little spikiness in the front, which he also wanted for the first day of school.
Kellan was proud and slightly confused as to why we were taking first day of school photos.  Just like Oliver at this point in time, he has been attending Primrose for as long as he can remember.  As far as he was concerned, it was just another day.  It didn't take long for him to figure it out.  On his second day of school he said, "I Love, Love, Love school!"  Yes, three Loves.  He said that a few times that week.  We are SO glad that he is LOVING school.
The boys were most excited about wearing their new kicks.  These shoes came in the mail a month prior to school starting and they had been dying to wear them, especially Oliver.  They were SO excited that today had finally arrived, so I took a photo of their favorite part of the first morning of school, their shoes.
Out front Primrose, the school that we've walked into every morning for-ever, we paused for a First Day of Pre-K-I photo.
So much better, so much shadier.  Happy boy, ready for school.
He had his choice between a navy blue shirt and a red shirt.  You see, he picked red, which happened to match fantastically with his new shoes.

There he is, at his new backpack hook in his new classroom.  He has grown so much since the start of Pre-School. Kellan is ready to rock Pre-K-I.
Next up, it was Oliver's turn to go to First Grade.  Last year, we took a photo in front of the school sign.  This year, he requested it.  I love that he makes it easy to start traditions.

We headed back to the school to wait for the teachers to emerge with their line-up signs.  By the time we spotted Mrs Goad, his line was 6 kids deep and he lined up to wait the arrival of First Grade.
Just before this photo, he called me over and whispered in my ear, "the girls are here," then he gave a head nod toward the back of the line.  He's never been "girl crazy", but I think that he may have been a little ... I'm not sure... 
I do know that they play games with boys against girls, so maybe that was the competition.  Or, maybe he's the non chalant type.
He did kind of get a little fidgety and flustered for a second, as he pushed up his brow, hair, or... whatever it was.
He also stood like a gentleman and watched the girls gather.  Again, competition or the silent flirt, I just don't know.
As time went on and we waited and waited,  Adriano's Mom and I decided to break the cardinal rule of being in a line and we told Oliver to move up with Adriano so that we could take a photo.  Oliver was nervous about breaking the cardinal rule, but he did it.
Adriano and Oliver were great buddies in Kindergarten last year.  It is so fun that they are together again.
Finally, the time had come to march into the school.  
Load 'em up, head 'em out!
March, March, March...
As a first day of school treat, Mommy picked Oliver up from the front of the school.  As a special celebration, we went to ice cream with our friends, the Drakes, who started First Grade and Pre-K-II.
Oliver and Kellan
Chase, Evan and Emerson
School was a big hit and they all loved it.  Now, to hold that enthusiasm for 9 more months! 
At home, the boys were excited to see the girls and they enjoyed their evening as if it was any other summer evening, riding bikes.
We noticed Kellan and Kaitlyn tricycling around.
Daddy asked Kellan, "What are you doing, Kellan."
Kellan replied, "Giving Katie a ride."
Such a gentleman.
The next morning, was another day with a first.
Oliver was going to ride the big yellow school bus for the first time ever.
Since Keith works from home now, it made perfect sense that Oliver should get on the bus at home with the neighbors.
Samantha is an old pro at riding the bus, so she was ready to show him the ropes.
Clearly, Samantha is a leader, leading the way.  Later, we'll work on not leaving your trainees in the dust.
Oliver got the message and picked up the pace.
At the bus stop, we had no idea that it was practically a social reunion with all of the neighbors.  They poured out of their homes.
The Culd-a-Sac Kids:
Oliver, Kaitlyn, Riley, Samantha and Stephen in the back.
Here it comes!
The big yellow school bus!

Time to ride!
Oliver lines up and takes a seat.

Quickly, he finds a seat.
Apparently, school bus safety has changed since we were kids.  These days, the rule is 3 to a seat instead of 2.
Oliver was excited to see his other Kindergarten buddies, Luke and Ethan.

Thumps up to Dad.
A wave to say, See Ya Later Gator!
There they go!
It's so fun to watch our boys grow and learn.  Each new year is another year of great anticipation.
I often wonder what moments will they have that will make a lasting impression.

It puts me back in First Grade, remembering what moments had lasting impressions on me.  Those memories tend to have an impact of how I parent my children.
Is that a Kellan squint?

October of First Grade, I got my first pair of glasses.  After I went to get them, I had to go back to school and it was recess time.  Because I had missed some of school, I had to sit in the classroom and do the work I missed while the other students were outside.  I remember two little kids peeking through the window in the door to see me in the classroom in my new glasses.  This was the beginning of the complex and reduced self esteem of wearing glasses.  Not because someone said something, but because someone looked my way.  Likely, they didn't even notice my glasses, but it was a defining moment that stuck with me until I changed to contacts in the Eighth Grade.  There is a great chance that our boys will wear corrective lenses and I'm already concerned about what it may do to their self esteem and confidence.  If that day comes, they'll have the coolest frames around.

Later in First Grade, I slammed my hand in the bathroom door, which resulted in my middle finger nail sticking straight up and having to be taken off by the school nurse.  I was too short to reach the top of the door and pulling on the bottom of the door was awkward.  It was common for the girls to pull the door quick, move their hand and grab the lock to twist it locked.  Clearly, I didn't have the coordination for this.  I was more concerned that I would be in trouble than what had happened to my hand. (There was no trouble to be found.)

I remember my First Grade teacher telling us about their family vacation to Disneyland.  She also brought in a jar of Mt St Helens ash, which I remembered when the volcano erupted.  Suddenly, the world became a large place and my curiosity was peaked.  Subsequently, our boys are travelers and know that the world is obtainable.

In the Spring of First Grade, I was a flower in the Mary Poppins play.  I wasn't a super star, I was part of the background.  I remember being envious of those that were chosen to be front and center and I wondered why I was deemed a flower.  However, if I was going to be a flower, I was going to be a cute flower with good hair.  I was wearing pig tails and my Mom sent me an orange hamburgler (yes, from McDonalds) comb to school with me.  She told me to comb my hair just before the show and tuck it under my skirt while I was sitting on the stage.  Before the show began, I went to tuck away the comb and a teacher saw it.  She snatched it from me very quickly and then scolded me for having it. I was horrified.  I was a rule follower.  I know that my Mom had great intentions.  I now find myself leaning toward telling our boys to go against the grain and slightly break the rules, because it's ok in some cases.  Then, I think, what if it's NOT ok because this is a serious thing for the teachers.  What if I put my kids in this position?  Especially, Oliver, our rule follower.  There was one day that I walked into the school to pick up Oliver early.  He was sitting with his class for story time.  As I walked in, he stood up and the teacher screamed at him to sit down.  We were both shocked.  I later told him that I was sorry that my actions resulted in that teachers behavior toward him.  He told me it was OK because that's just how she is.  I can't say that I was ok with it, but I was proud that Oliver had recognized this.  I think long and hard about how my actions affect my children.  (From that First Grade Comb Snatcher, I also learned to assume positive intent and seek understanding)
(orange flower, right side)


It's funny what moment evolve us into the people that we are.  I have moments like this from every year of my life as will our boys.  The best part is that these moments are molding us into the people that we are destined to become.  The adventure is in what we learn and choose to do with these moments.  For our boys, we hope that they choose strength, courage and compassion.  It seems that they are well on their way.

*****
Thanks to Keith for taking photos of Oliver's first bus ride.  They were an A+!
*****
Thanks to my Mom (Grandma) for sending over a few first grade photos.  They are perfect and I love them!!  Just for you, I'll post one of your personal favorites.  You may think that I have everyone fooled that I'm just a sweet angel, but you and I both know that this photo proves that I was a stinker too.  Just don't tell Oliver and Kellan, yet.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails