Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Patio Project Phase II B

9.8 times out of 10, I pick the perfect color for a project.  I can see the shades, the vision, the image as a whole.
Then, there are the .2 times.
One of those .2 times happened on the Patio Project.
BIG SIGH!
I have never been good at pick out stain.  Solid paint, no problem.  Stain, not so much.
After Keith's long hard weekend of work on the bar, he stayed up late staining the bar with the color that I bought.
I knew instantly when I saw it that it wasn't my vision but by this time Keith was well into it, it was dark and it was getting late.  Maybe I just had tired eyes and opinions.
The next morning, it wasn't any better.  It was so bothersome that I drove behind our house on my way to work to see the bar from afar and I confirmed, it was the wrong color.  It looked like plywood on a frame.  It was no good and it was no way to showcase the hard work Keith had put in.
It took about 12 hours for me to get the guts to bring it up and when I did, Keith had the exact same opinion.
Hallelujah!!
So now, what do we do?
Well, we find something new and in the meantime, we (like mostly Keith and a little bit me) start sanding.
I didn't take many photos of the wrong colored bar, but these give you the idea.  It just didn't match.  Plus, we even tried a gray color thinking that would match the roof.  That was even worse.  So, we sanded and opted for "Natural" coloring.
The hard part was the counter top, which already had one coat of polyurethane.  We wanted it to have a weathered look and once Keith was done with it, it did.
The boys, well, they aren't quite ready for deep sanding training, so instead, they observed while enjoying a popsicle on the step.
Don't fret, this story has a happy ending.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails