Saturday, December 8, 2012

Love and Funk

Weekends are for fun times, chore times and rest and relaxation times.  The weekends leading up to Christmas always come with all of the above.  While Daddy was doing whatever Daddy was doing and Mommy was putting together Christmas cards in the kitchen, Oliver and Kellan were quietly playing int he living room.  At one point, they built a fort with their Pottery Barn chairs (behind Kellan).  Then, they moved to arts and crafts.  This was about the time that Keith emerged and we found Kellan wearing a hat (or is it a bonnet?)
Oliver was very proud of the hat that he made for his brother.
We were quite impressed with his creativity.
We were slightly concerned that all of the staples were a safety hazard, but we decided that the hazard was low and the biggest injury that could occur was a scratch or hair pull and the cuteness outweighed the hazard. (note... no injury ever occurred.)
It's good to have a little brother who loves hats and it's great to have a big brother who loves to make hats for you.
Meanwhile, in the kitchen, Mama was busy creating Christmas joy in an envelope.
I LOVE getting the mail at Christmas!!  I love receiving Christmas Cards.  My favorites are those with pictures since I'm a picture lover.  My ultimate favorite is to receive a photo Christmas card, complete with a Christmas letter.  I love Christmas letters!  I love reading about what our friends and families have been up to all year.  I also love to send photo Christmas cards, complete with a letter.  I think about it all year, especially as the year comes to a close.  It gives me a good chance to reflect on our year and all that we have been blessed to accomplish and experience.  I always approach the letter with a huge sense of appreciation and love for all that surrounds us.  Then, one fine day, I sit down and create the card and the letter (not usually in the same day, they each get their own day).  Then, I sit on it (not literally, of course) for a day of two and then review it before hitting PRINT (or send/purchase, in the card portion).  I LOVE IT!!
Christmas card / letter day is usually an assembly line of work.  My Mom used to always tell me that she didn't like Christmas letters because they weren't personal and she liked people to write personal messages.  Well... if she (or anyone else) is waiting for that, the wait will be an eternity!  I always appreciate when people do that, because I know how much work it is.  I also appreciate that we each have our own style.  I mentioned this to my Mom this year and she quietly said that she is now doing a Christmas letter because she has learned to enjoy them too.  When I asked her why she doesn't send me one, she says it's because she used to tell me she didn't like them.  What a funny lady!  (or... maybe she's writing things about me that she doesn't want to admit!!  Ah Ha... I'm on to her!!)
Back at the creativity station (aka the coffee table) Oliver was hard at work making a Christmas Tree.
This is where Oliver exclaimed "Look at my tree.  Isn't it Funky!"  I loved his use of the work Funky!!!
Oliver and his Funky Christmas Tree.
My heart swoons for this boy!!
Merry Christmas prep to you and yours!!  May your mailboxes and hearts be full of love and joy.

1 comment:

Jedi Mama said...

Well, your hard work payed off, because the Ham Fam was a "bottom o' the daily stack" envelope, and it did not disappoint! We tried you out there this year, and now we know that you'll forever be promoted to the bottom of the daily stack, from here on out, until you send us a non-photo card... a generic card... with your names engraved inside and nothing else. Then, quick as a wink, you'll be a "top o' the daily stack" family!! Love ya!

Related Posts with Thumbnails