Sunday, October 13, 2013

Happy 6th Birthday, Oliver

Six Years ago tonight, after you woke me up with labor pains at 3:15 AM and we walked the hospital halls for hours trying to encourage your arrival, the epidural man final arrived to deliver relief.  You weren't ready for your grand entrance, but we were.  We had waited in anticipation for 40 long weeks plus the months prior, then you taught us first of many lessons that sometimes, you have to practice patience.  You did know one thing, not to make your new Mommy wait past your due date.  You, decided to arrive one day early.  I now know that you and I are wired much more alike than I knew at that time.  You like a plan and you like to stick to that plan.  I like that plan.

Six years ago tonight, the epidural man delivered comfort at the same time that you did this evening.  After a truly amazing weekend of celebrating YOU, we ended the weekend celebrating US.  We had spent the evening decorating cupcakes for your birthday celebration at school tomorrow.  With care, I frosted, you sprinkled, I frosted some more and you placed the football on top.  They were pure perfection, but that wasn't the perfect moment.  The perfect moment was when we were done and you jumped into my arms for a pre-birthday hug.  As much as I was loving that hug, I knew that you get squirmy wormy and wiggle your way back down, but this time when I offered to let you go, you held on tight.  I held on tight in return.  With your arm and legs wrapped around me, you rested your head on my shoulder.  In return, I cradled your head in one hand and out of motherly instinct I patted your bottom with the other hand.  I caught a glimpse of us in a photo frame reflection and it held my gaze.  That moment, it took me back nearly six years.

As you held me tight and we enjoyed a slow dance in the kitchen, I cradled your head and patted your bottom as I told you of times that have long passed.  I said "I am so proud that I get to be YOUR Mommy (you squeezed tighter).  I used to hold you like this when you were a baby.  I would pat your bottom like this except your bottom was way up here (patting your shoulder blades) and now it's way down here (around my waist).  I would hold your head like this and rock you (as we swayed)."  We swayed, we sang and you didn't loosen your grip.  You held on tight and listened intently, even though your chicken legs would slide down my hip and I would have to hoist you back up, we swayed and sang with James Blunt:

Today is our time

Days like these lead to
Night like these lead to
Love like ours
You light the spark in my bonfire heart

People like us, we don't need that much
Just someone that starts, starts the spark in our bonfire hearts.

It was perfect, pure perfections.

_________________

Several days ago, I was asked if I was sad that you were turning six.  My first baby was growing up.  I responded with a very definite, No.  Nothing makes me sad about you turning six.  In fact, it is the complete opposite as I couldn't be more proud.  You amaze me daily and I love experiencing who you are growing to be.  I feel like we are opening the next book in the series of Oliver and it is a real page turner.  I can't wait to read chapter after chapter of who and what you are growing to be.  You are kind and caring.  You are intelligent and inquisitive.  You are sensitive and sensing, you know when people are happy or hurting and you fill the gaps appropriately.  (sometimes you use these talents to pester your brother and us and we are working on that).  You are a natural at math and science and you're frustrated that you can't read yet.  We tell you that you have to work hard and you'll get it, because you will.  You know that nothing comes easy and you're willing to buckle down and work hard.  When you were three you were frustrated that your buddies ran faster than you.  Instead of accepting that, you ran and ran every day at recess until you came home one day and proudly reported that you had beat them in a foot race.  You only have six years under your belt, but we know, you will achieve greatness because you know how to win the race.

Happy Birthday, Oliver.  

YOU light the spark in our bonfire heart.

Ready to run the race and be noticed, holding your head up on day one.

Still running the race and getting noticed, six years later.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Well... I need Kleenex already this morning! TEAR! JERKER!!! What a fun kid... what a fun age... what a great blog post! Give him a big squishy birthday hug from us.

And I'm telling you... you and Keith make such darling babies, you should have made six or nine together!!

rbgarner said...

Happy birthday Oliver. You have the best mom and dad ever! Your mom said it better than any Hallmark card, you are one very special boy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails