Friday, April 15, 2011

Winter Park Wonderland

With two small kiddos, we find it is tough to get up skiing.  This year, we bought the 4x40 pass that included 2 days at Steamboat and 2 days at Winter Park, both on highway 40.  We utilized the pass when we spend the weekend in Steamboat, but we had yet to use the Winter Park portion.  Since the season closes April 24, we booked a Friday to go.  The boys were in school,  Keith and I booked a vacation day and hoped for a great day on the slopes. 

The weather was predicted to be sunny and 40.  Perfect spring skiing weather.  We left Denver with sunshine, only to arrive to cold, snow and wind.  Brrr.... 
However, after only a few runs, the snow stopped and the sun came out.  We have an even better day than we could have ever hoped.  There was several inches of fresh snow and sunshine.  It was amazing!


We ventured down a powder run and I had a little crash.  I took the opportunity to take a photos.
When I got to the bottom of the run, I found Keith sitting in a pile of fresh snow.
As I got closer, I saw he had built a snow man.
 Ahhhh.... how cute.
 Self portrait at the top of Winter Park
 As we were taking a self portrait, a mountain host came by and offered to take our picture.
 An amazing view of a gorgeous snow covered mountain.
 "What, another photo?"
 Striking a pose.
 Keith got a hold of the camera and got a shot of me at the bottom of a run.

 This is where everything changed.
We were headed down to the bottom to get some lunch.  I saw this bridge and wanted a photo.  Keith pulled the camera out of his pocket and handed it over so I could take a picture.
When we got to the bottom and we were walking to our lunch destination, Keith discovered his iPhone was missing.  His phone is his life line, especially for work.  He was panicked.
We looked at the map and headed up the lift with the plan of taking the one and only route from our current location, back to this bridge.  It entailed going down a black diamond mogul run.  The black diamond is no problem, moguls as high as my waist are my least favorite.  We trudged through it and raced back to the bridge only to find no iPhone.
Oh - well... there wasn't much we could do.  Keith hoped a good Samaritan would turn in his phone.
We found our seats on the deck and Keith headed off to the bathroom.  I pulled out my iPhone to check my messages and I had an email from Marion.  She emailed me that someone in Winter Park had Keith's phone and he had called her husband Jeff.  We called Jeff back and he had the guys phone number.  Keith called the guy, Ben, and he was just 30 seconds away in the information building.  Someone who worked at Winter Park had picked up his phone.  It was such a relief.
Here is a photo of Keith calling to get his phone back.
 Keith and Carrie on the deck at the D Railer.
We had an amazing day and topped if off with a couple of frosty beverages, fried pickles and a cheese burger.  YUM!!!
The skiing was great and the sun felt so good, a nap was in order for the ride home.  Keith somehow managed to pull out the camera and get a photo.  He teased that he was going to do the blog post so he could post this photo.  I guess it's only fair that I fulfil his request.  Not my most attractive moment, but I'm sure there have been worse as well.
Meanwhile, back at home, Oliver and Kellan had no idea they had missed a fun day in the mountains.
Oliver even serenaded us with his Fisher Price instruments.  The letter of the week at school was X, so he had taken his Xylophone.
My favorite part of this photo, Keith hauling laundry as seen in the mirror.  Yup, my husband does laundry.  THANKS KEITH!  Just goes to show you that husbands can be trained.  (you should have seen the piles of laundry in his bachelor pad)

Kellan admiring Oliver's musical talents.
What a great day!  We're already looking forward to the next ski season.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails