Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Grandma Visits for Mr John

About two months ago, it was announced that Elton John was coming to Denver to play in the intimate setting of the Wells Fargo Theater.  A few weeks later, tickets went on sale.  I knew they would sell out and I thought for sure I would never get tickets.  To my complete surprise, I got tickets.  Keith was a trooper and said he would join me but we thought my Mom would enjoy it more.  It took no time for my Mom to find flights and book a trip to Denver to see a few of her favorite guys; Oliver, Kellan and Elton John.

Just days before my Mom (Grandma) arrived, I managed to drop my camera in the tub while the boys were taking their first bath together.  So, I had a new point and shoot camera and plenty of opportunity to try it out.  My first subject, Oliver.
We picked up Grandma on Saturday morning.  Since her flight came in at 10:50 AM, we thought a picnic at the zoo was a great way to start the visit.  Like always, we said hello to a few of our favorite friends at the zoo, including the hippo, who was also enjoying some lunch.
Our new tradition is to rent a "jeep" wagon for Oliver to ride in.  He loves it, it makes it easy on us and it's an easy donation to the zoo.   This time around he was most thrilled with the table he created for our picnic with the other seat in the jeep.  
Keith, having some chips with his sandwich.
 For the first time, we went in the bird pavilion and fed the birds.  It was great but you had to watch out. Some of them would bite you if you weren't careful.  I'm not sure what we were feeding them but it appeared to be like a sugar water.  They said it was imported from Germany.  Talk about spoiled birds!



As nap time approached, we took a traditional ride on the carousel and train.  The fact that it was nearly nap time is key because Oliver was getting a bit grumpy.  Some days we can skip naps, others, not so much.

Kellan on his first train ride.
Kellan getting some love from Grandma.
Oops, photo out of order.
Oliver and Mom waiting for the train.
Kellan and Mom on the train.
Oliver and Keith picked a seat a few rows back so we couldn't get any pictures of them.
This elephant was so funny, resting his trunk.
We are very excited that the elephants and some of their friends are getting a new home soon.  The zoo has been building Asian Tropics since last year.
Kellan couldn't hold out any longer and he had to take a snooze near the giraffes.
Kellan enjoyed his nap quite comfortably through the polar bears, tigers and right out the door, oh my!
(I know he's a big guy, but photos like this make me realize he's no small tike).
The polar bear was treating Oliver to a good show by making laps around his home.  He came right by the glass multiple times.
That night, we really didn't feel like cooking and we really felt like eating Hacienda Colorado.
Oliver and his drink of choice, Apple Juice.
Grandma and Kellan
Grandpa didn't come with on this trip, but he did send gifts.  Oliver was sad that Grandpa wasn't here, but he was completely fired up with the gift he sent.  A new squirt gun!!!  He wanted a squirt gun for his birthday last year but they didn't have them in the stores in October.  He LOVES his squirt gun!!
We are finding it is much more efficient to give Oliver and Kellan a bath together.
I also find it necessary to anchor down Kellan's ride with something solid, like my foot!
Since Oliver has been having company in the tub, he finds it exciting to wash up his guest.  I guess my leg looked a bit dirty because it got a good wash down.
Kellan is getting so big.  I remember when we gave him his first bath and the hood of this towel was WAY too big for his head.  Now, he has almost out grown this towel just like he has out grown his baby bath tub.
On Sunday, Grandma and I took Oliver to the Butterfly Pavilion.  We have talked about going there and we finally made it.  Keith needed a day at home and Kellan appeared to find that desirable as well, so we left them home and headed North.
There were a lot of very interesting bugs to see.
They even had some HUGE star fish.
What do you know?  Dori and Nemo were even at the Butterfly Pavilion.  Oliver was quick to say hello and hand out a few pets.
In the actual pavilion, there were thousands of butterflies.  They had just released new ones the weekend before.  I think we had great timing.
Oliver and Mom
Going in for a snuggle.
Oliver's favorite line for me right now is "You can keep me forever".  Ahh...  it melts my heart every time.  I sure love this guy!

Grandma walking through the jungle pavilion.



We met up with the Stack's at the Butterfly Pavilion.  This is Parker checking out the tortoise.


Just as I went to take this photo, the misters started raining on me.  


This photo cracks me up.  The captions I could put by this are endless.


Grandma and Oliver

Grandma showing Oliver how to take a picture.
Turtles basking in the sun in the pond.

Oliver in the play area.
Oliver jumping off a butterfly. 
Oliver and Mom posing in the stages of a chrysalis.

Grandma and Oliver racing with magnets.
Oliver doing the Happy Dance during a self proclaimed victory.
Oliver putting together puzzle pieces in a "save the forest" display.
Oliver discovered he likes pickles.  It's amazing how quick something changes and all of a sudden he declares his love for a new food.  He loved them, except for the skin.
Later that day, Grandma got a hold of Kellan with her camera.  He's always eager to please with a bright eyed smile.

This photo makes me laugh.  He reminds me of one of the Seven Dwarfs.  What a cutie!
Grandma and her grandsons.
People often ask where Oliver and Kellan get their blue eyes.  Could it be Grandma?
Silly time with Grandma.
Grandma captured a Mother & Son moment.
Hey, are we on camera? 
We had better smile :)
Play time with the boys.
On Monday, Grandma went with me to pick up the boys at School.
This is Oliver with his best buddy, Charlie.
Hey look ladies.  Real men wear pink!  It is also Oliver's favorite color.
Oliver's job each night is to pull Kellan's car seat out of the storage closet.
Getting the daily report on Kellan's day.  They love him to pieces at Primrose.  He is one of their snuggle bugs.
Back at home, Oliver and Kellan spending time together.

Later that night, Kellan having a chat with the hanging safari animals.
At the Butterfly Pavilion, Oliver picked out a special gift for Grandma to take back to his cousin Rio.  Here he is, decorating the bag for the gift.

Kellan handing out a few more smiles.
As I mentioned before, Kellan is crawling and on the move.  You just never know where you'll find him.  At this time, it was behind the kitchen table.
Tuesday night was the Elton John concert.
Mom and I went out to dinner downtown and treated ourselves to some strawberry margaritas.  It was happy hour so they were BOGO (buy one, get one free).  How could we resist!
My Mom is such a nut.  LOVE YOU Mom!

At the show, in excellent seats!  It looks much further away than it really was.
Elton John played a solo concert to benefit the Matthew Shepard Foundation.  It was just Elton and his piano for 2 hours and 45 minutes.  It was amazing and his voice is just as strong as ever.




The show was amazing and we loved it.  Having Grandma here for the weekend was even better.  Oliver was sad that Grandma had to go home but since Grandpa missed her, we had to let her go.  

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails