Friday, February 3, 2012

Calcified Tendon? What? What? What?!!!

This past summer I noticed that my right ring finger knuckle was becoming enlarged.  I noticed it because the ring that Keith gave me when Oliver was born went from being a bit too big to nearly impossible to get on and off.  I asked the Dr about it and she thought it might have been arthritis.  Three weeks ago I went in for a physical and they took x-rays of my hand where they found that I had something growing from my knuckle.  Two weeks ago I went to the orthopedic Doc and he told me that he thought my tendon was calcifying and turning to bone.  This week I went in for surgery and he removed it.  Prior to surgery he said that he didn't think it was a big deal but he was glad to remove it for me.  After the surgery he told Keith that it was much bigger than he thought and it was good that we removed it.  It's always nice to have the Doctor come back to agree that we made the right move.  He sent it off for testing but they think everything is fine.  After the surgery, Keith brought me home for some couch time.  Later that afternoon he went on a Starbucks run for me.  Have I mentioned lately how great he is!  Without a doubt, he's the cream of the crop!

My hand was covered in iodine up to my elbow.  It took me DAYS to get it all off!
Keith found my yellow hand to be quite humorous.
Ahhh.... Not too bad.  Couch, Chai, an over flowing DVR, a hand that is still numb and some GREAT pain killers.  
Of course, Day 2 was a bit harder than Day 1 and Day 3 was a process of transitioning from the GREAT pain killers to Advil so that I could return to work on Day 4.  So far, I'm surviving and looking forward to having the big bandage off of my finger and having my hand back to normal.  With all of that, I also look forward to wearing my Oliver ring again.

1 comment:

Jedi Mama said...

Okay... The yellow hand is a wee bit creepy...

But at least someone knows how to help you along in recovery by bringing you a GRANDE NO-WATER CHAI!!

Feel better soon. How can you have a snowball fight in all that snow if you're hand doesn't work?!

Related Posts with Thumbnails